The Wavlink Dual-Bay is a great option if you need to duplicate or backup your data, and can do so without having to be plugged into your computer. Unfortunately, you can’t access the information from two drives at the same time when you fill both slots.
- Supports hot-swapping
- Specific requirements for cloning
- Some issues with power supply
StarTech Backplane Enclosure
If security and backup purposes have you adding and removing storage on a regular basis, consider the StarTech Backplane Enclosure , which takes up the space of a traditional 5.25-inch bay, and makes a SATA SSD incredibly easy to swap out.
- Has no tray or fasteners
- Rated for over 50000 insertions
- Requires a bit of work to install
Not only able to handle up to 12 terabytes in total, the StarTech 2U313 is also quite fast, leveraging the USB-attached SCSI protocol in addition to USB 3.1’s 10-gigabit-per-second ceiling to achieve throughput levels quicker than many of the rest.
- Includes 3 international power plugs
- No standalone cloning function
- Among the more costly choices
Eliminate the hassle of working with semi-permanent enclosures by using the Sabrent DS-4SSD . Its compact design helps to maximize your workspace, while the cover is equipped with an integrated cooling fan to keep your hardware running smoothly.
- Works with 32- and 64-bit systems
- Doesn't require any tools
- Shouldn't be used for boot drives
If you need to make backups of your data, the Weme Duplicator can copy drives even when it is not attached to your computer. It has LEDs that will indicate when it is turned on and show the progress completion percentage of each cloning.
- Supports usb type-c
- Does not require drivers
- Automatically goes into sleep mode
The Sabrent Lay-Flat supports USB 3.0, which allows it to transfer data at speeds of up to 5 gigabits per second. It is compatible with most 2.5 and 3.5 inch SATA drives, and can also utilize UASP if it is available on your system.
- Comes with a bonus software download
- Only holds one drive
- May need firmware update
Standing somewhat apart from the rest, the Inateck Universal boasts compatibility with the comparatively ancient IDE standard, which allows owners to connect and copy their legacy hardware and move its data to a modern, solid-state host.
- Can support 3 drives simultaneously
- Works with 32-bit operating systems
- Requires an external power source
Thanks to its durable, metal housing, the Unitek Aluminum not only dissipates heat well, but also matches the color scheme of many popular Apple devices. Plus, it’s capable of using the UASP standard to improve upon the typical bandwidth.
- Works as an offline duplicator
- Accommodates 3-point-5-inch drives
- Backed by a 2-year warranty
If you’re a proud owner of the newest and most versatile USB protocol, this StarTech Adapter may be the dongle you need to rapidly access your storage. It runs from the cutting-edge, type-C port directly to a SATA connector, with no other hardware required.
- Type-a version also available
- Compatible with macbooks
- Costs only about 20 dollars
The Sabrent Duplicator provides a firm base into which you can insert two SATA modules at once, and transfer data from them at up to 5 gigabits per second. It also functions as a cloning device, so you can back up old storage without getting your PC involved.
- Single-bay model also available
- Plug-and-play installation
- Reads capacities up to 10 terabytes